Our Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach in evaluating each application.
The Marine Biodiversity and Conservation Admissions Committee reviews all applications holistically and considers the following required items:
- Statement of Purpose: In ~750 words, describe your interest in this field, demonstrated commitment to the ocean, and rationale for applying to the program. Please explain why you are applying to the MAS MBC Program and what you hope to achieve with this degree.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a preferred minimum 3.0 GPA
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- College Transcripts
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): for international applicants only, minimum score is 85 (iBT) or 550 (PBT), or 7 IELTS
- The MBC program is committed to equity and social justice in the environmental field and are looking for applicants who share that commitment.
- The GRE is not required. You may submit GRE/GMAT results if you feel they will greatly strengthen your application
- The application asks for preliminary Capstone ideas. Applications do not need to include an endorsement of a Capstone advisor and reaching out to faculty is not expected.
To begin the application, all students must create a UC San Diego account:
Register at: https://connect.grad.ucsd.edu/apply
Under "Program Selector," indicate:
Degree Type: Master of Advanced Studies
Program Interest: Marine Biodiversity and Conservation (SI83)
Term: Summer 2023
The application for the 2023-2024 Cohort is now open!
See below for application timeline.
The application includes an application fee of $135 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, and $155 for international applicants that can be paid with a major credit card. Applicants may qualify for a fee waiver upon verification of need-based federal aid, financial hardship, U.S. Military Service, or graduate prep program participation.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo: Erik Jepsen
Students apply in the Fall for a program start date the following June.
2023-2024 Cohort Dates:
Application Opens - September 7, 2022
Application Deadline - January 18, 2023
Decisions Released - Mid-February-March, 2023
Program Dates - June 2023-June 2024
Photo: Samantha Murray